Friday, September 10, 2010

Well intended advice?

Although I do have a few recipes to add, I have been slacking lately. I have a pretty nasty cold right now so lately it has just been soup. I will post more later but right now I think I am just going to write.

So I've spent allot of time defending my actions to people. From Family, To friends, to little old ladies in the stores. I've defended the way we want to raise Elijah, Why I am a stay at home Mom, What Nate and I are going to do on R&R and why I do so many other things. I've heard everything from "You're a new Mom you don't know" to "We have 6 kids, so trust me" and anything in between. I've had complete strangers advise me, I've had family members question me, and friends correct me. It's frustrating.

This morning I sat down to play with Elijah and something dawned on me. I am so sick of explaining myself. When I was little and I would ask my Mom "Why" I can clearly remember her always telling me "I don't explain myself to you". At the time I obviously hated that answer, but the more I think about it the more I like it. I am Elijah's Mom, and short of Nate, it really isn't anyone's business "Why". I could fill this page with a huge explanation as to why about so many things that have been questioned but honestly why should I? Despite how entitled you feel to give advice, or how wrong you think something is, or how overprotective you think I am being it isn't any persons place to ask us to justify anything. Maybe there is something you did differently and you think I am completely backwards but I honestly don't think that gives anyone any right to comment. I would expect it if we were neglecting Elijah or something worse but he hasn't been neglected a day in his life and he has never gone without. I guess I just feel annoyed when someone whats a justification when he isn't even their son. Despite how much it bothers someone that I follow Dr. instructions, or do something a little out of the books, or go exactly by the books he is my child. I am willing to bet some great money that when whom ever had their children they got pretty annoyed receiving well intended advice/questions pertaining to their parenting.

I am never to proud to ask for help, so I guess it just drives me crazy when people want to just jump on in when I haven't asked. I obviously feel comfortable enough that I haven't asked about anything, so please just let me be.

No comments:

Post a Comment