Sunday, April 8, 2012

"You always seem to land on your feet"

I remember shortly after graduation going back to the high school and visiting my art teacher. The art room had been the only room of the high school I ever felt confident in, and frankly the only class I tried to do more than "Pass to get the heck out". Probably something that is evident in the lack of grammar and spelling skills in my blog but hey, 6 years later I am working on it. I went back with an engagement ring and a smile. Proud to show off my diamond ring and hope for adventure. After gushing about my plans, Fiance and upcoming wedding I must have admitted being a little afraid (The exact conversation I can't recall). Something that has always stuck with me though is what my beloved Miss Fisher said to me.... "You always seem to land on your feet".

Indeed this must be true still today. Even at that point, only a year after graduation, it was ringing true. I had plans to join the Army and get the heck out of dodge my senior year. Only after not applying to college, forming a plan B and sitting around for a summer waiting on paperwork did I find out that my medical records would work against me. So I enrolled in college, started dating Nate and planted myself in my parents house. Some might say I failed, I'd say I found my feet. It's been a like this since becoming an adult. A plan comes, it changes, I figure out how to deal with it and I "Find my Feet". 5 years of marriage, 2 children and 2 deployments sure have helped me figure out that those "feet".. Those are actually God's plan. That trust I have in the fact that I will always find them, That is faith.

Tonight I was thinking about our move. There is a lot that goes into a move in general, but one that takes you across an ocean... Well there is slightly more planning. For instance with there being 2 shipments I have to decide what I can fit in a 3x3x3 box that I would like immediately (Shipment 1) and then everything else (Shipment 2). There are things the movers wont touch, and things I will be holding my breathe while they pack..... There is making sure I keep enough out to get me through a month in Ohio, but not too much to fly with. If housing isn't available I have to find an apartment, and this is being done online. I'm sure you can picture some of the stress at this point. It made me think about my move to Kansas though. Being 19 and never living with anyone that wasn't family. Starting out with nothing and moving in with a boy (gasp!). There was the thrill of independence and the fear of the 12 hours between my mom in I if I needed her. I'm not even a little ashamed to admit I bawled the whole entire drive that first time. Of course I knew Nate would be part of a deployment to Iraq. Although I did not know it would be a horrifying experience and 15 agonizing months. It was intense, thrilling and scary. Thinking about this has put Hawaii into a little perspective though. If I could concern this at only 19, while most of my peers were most concerned about getting their older siblings to buy beer why is Hawaii so hard for me?

Finding those feet is all about faith, and the ability to accept that although it isn't what "I" want it is the path I am meant to take...........

"As your faith is strengthened you will find there is no longer the need to have a sense of control, that things will flow as they will, and that you will flow with them, to your great delight and benefit" Emmanuel Teney

Perhaps there is a great deal that goes with this, but there is also a great deal to come out of it. I set out in my marriage to see the world and to make everything I can out of myself. 6 years planted in Kansas is long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment